How to get AS9100 certified
There are 3 essential steps involved in getting certified to AS9100D:
- Choosing the right certification body – After having your AQMS in place, the certification auditors will be assessing the maturity level of your processes and analyze if they meet the requirements specified in the AS9100D.
- Certification audit – Stage 1 - This is called documentation adequacy check audit wherein auditors will review your AQMS documentation and will issue a non-conformity report in case there are discrepancies.
- Certification audit – Stage 2 – In this stage, the auditors analyze your AQMS processes that are already in place and investigate if the process is being carried out as per your plan and will provide a process effectiveness assessment report (PEAR) and appropriate corrective actions to be taken.
Omnex Certificate Accreditation – Exemplar Global QM, AU & TL / Omnex
Omnex follows Exemplar Global, a worldwide recognized “Training Provider and Examiner Certification Scheme (TPECS)” and depending on the courses and examination you have chosen to become qualified.
The courses offered by Omnex comprises three separate Exemplar Global Competency Units with the following objectives:
- Exemplar Global-QM (Understanding the QMS requirements)
- Exemplar Global-AU (Understanding the Auditing requirements)
- Exemplar Global-TL (Understanding the Lead Auditing/Team Leader requirements)
Omnex brings our specialized methodologies for Risk Management, Aerospace APQP/PPAP in AS9145, AS13004 (PFMEA and Control Plans), and AS13006 (Process Control), New Product Launch, and Characteristic Classification that we have practiced for over 26 years. We offer training in AS9145 and Core Tools, AS9102 First Article Inspection, AS9103 Variation Management of Key Characteristics, AS13000 (Problem Solving), AS13004, AS13006, and other Aerospace requirements.
Click here to see how Omnex can assist with Consulting, Implementation, & Coaching Support and/or Assessments
History and Background of Aerospace standard
AS1900 Quality Management Standard is widely used and required in the Aerospace industry globally. This AQMS standard was first released in November 1999, by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
The AQMS standard was developed by the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG). IAQG comprises representatives from aviation, space, and defense companies in the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe.
The official title of AS9100D is “Quality Management Systems-Requirements for Aviation, Space and Defence Organizations”. Implementing this Aerospace Standard will result in improved quality, cost, and delivery performance through the reduction or elimination of organization-specific requirements, analyzing process risk, implementing the quality management system effectively, and applying good practices more widely.
Key requirements of AS9100
The AS9100 standard was developed for the aviation, space, and defense industries; however, it can also be used by other industries in need of a quality management system that goes beyond ISO 9001.
This AS9100D standard has been updated to reflect ISO 9001:2015’s new clause structure and content. Additionally, in response to both ISO 9001 modifications and stakeholder’s needs; industry requirements, definitions, and notes have been amended.
This standard includes ISO 9001 2015 requirements for quality management systems, as well as additional aviation, space, and defense industry requirements, including definitions, notes, and regulatory requirements.
The latest revision to AS9100 is known as AS9100D in the year 2016.
What is New in AS9100?
The AS9100D standard defines a set of quality management requirements. This standard includes the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and supplements them with other quality requirements. When a company is certified to AS9100D, it is also certified to ISO 9001:2015 and it will not be provided a separate certification for ISO 9001, as it is combined with the AS9100D. Most of the changes are derived from ISO 9001 such as:
- Context of the Organization.
- Adapting the Annex L - High-Level Structure.
- Needs and expectations of interested parties.
- Focusing the leadership accountability of your organization including the customers.
- Documented Information-New terminology.
- Effective communication & Employee engagement.
- Replacing preventive actions with risk-based thinking.
There are also certain unique changes brought into the AS9100D such as:
- Process approach & Risk-based thinking- Engaging in risk-based thinking through the company’s entire quality management system ensures that prevention is part of the strategic and operational planning.
- Greater focus on preventing the use of counterfeit parts.
- Attention to the impact of human attributes. - such as non-discriminatory, psychological factors, physical factors including ethical behavior aspects.
- Training on product and process knowledge.
- Training on product safety.
- Monitoring the supply of products and services through a supplier monitoring program.
- Explicit requirements of external providers selection, evaluation, and re-evaluation.
- Recall of monitoring and measurement equipment programs.
- Training on Ethical behavior.
Benefits associated with AS9100D:
Major aerospace manufacturers and suppliers worldwide require registration to AS9100. This will benefit the Organization to perform business effectively. By certifying to AS9100D, it indicates that your organization is dedicated to providing/delivering high-quality products, analyzing risk, and assuring safety. A robust quality management system is a prerequisite, not only to achieve quality but also to maintain consistency of products and service quality at all times.
Benefits of implementing AS9100D:
- Improved customer satisfaction.
- By using the process approach effective mapping of input and output of the processes is achieved.
- Promoting decision-making based upon monitoring and measurement of the process through a data-driven approach.
- Reduction of waste.
- Mitigating risks through risk and opportunity assessments.
- Continual improvement of Organizational processes.
- Consistent in supplying products and services that meet statutory & regulatory requirements.
- Mutual beneficial relationship with suppliers.
AS9100 Trainings Offered by Omnex:
Click here to know how Omnex can help you with Consulting, Implementation, & Coaching support.
Get in touch for any AS 9100D Software Requirements.