AS 9000 or Aerospace Basic Quality System
History and Background of Aerospace standard
AS 9100 Quality Management Standard is widely used and accepted in the Aerospace industry. This AQMS standard was first released in October, 1999, by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
The AQMS standard was developed by the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG). IAQG comprises of representatives from aviation, space, and defence companies in the America, Asia Pacific and Europe.
The official title of AS 9100D is “Quality Management Systems-Requirements for Aviation, Space and Defence Organizations”. Implementing this Aerospace Standard will result in improved quality, cost, and delivery performance through the reduction or elimination of organization-specific requirements, implementing the quality management system effectively, and applying good practices more widely.
Key requirements- AS 9100
The AS 9100 standard was developed for the aviation, space, and defence industries; however, it can also be used by other industries in need of a quality management system that goes beyond ISO 9001.
This AS 9100D standard has been updated to reflect ISO 9001:2015’s new clause structure and content. Additionally, in response to both ISO 9001 modifications and stakeholder’s needs; industry requirements, definitions, and notes have been amended.
This standard includes ISO 9001:2015 requirements for quality management system, as well as additional aviation, space, and defence industry requirements, including definitions and notes.
The latest revision to AS 9100 is known as AS9100D in the year 2016.
What is New in AS 9100?
The AS 9100D standard defines a set of quality management requirements. This standard includes the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and supplements them with other quality requirements. When a company is certified to AS 9100D, it is also certified to ISO 9001:2015 and it will not be provided a separate certification for ISO 9001:2015, as it is combined with the AS 9100D. Most of the changes are derived from ISO 9001 such as:
- Context of the Organization.
- Adapting the Annex L -High Level Structure.
- Needs and expectations of Interested parties.
- Focusing the leadership accountability of your organization including the customers.
- Documented Information-New terminology.
- Effective communication & Employee engagement.
- Replacing preventive actions with risk-based thinking.
There are also certain unique changes brought into the AS 9100D such as:
- Process approach & Risk-based thinking- Engaging in risk-based thinking through the company’s entire quality management system ensures that prevention is part of the strategic and operational planning.
- Greater focus on preventing the use of counterfeit parts.
- Attention to the impact of human attributes. - such as non-discriminatory, psychological factors, physical factors including ethical behaviour aspects.
- Training on product and process knowledge.
- Training on product safety.
- Monitoring the supply of products and services through supplier monitoring program.
- Explicit requirements of external providers selection, evaluation and re-evaluation.
- Recall of monitoring and measurement equipment programs.
- Training on Ethical behaviour.
Benefits associated with AS 9100D:
Major aerospace manufacturers and suppliers worldwide require registration to AS 9100. This will benefit the Organization to perform business effectively. By certifying to AS9100D, it indicates that your organisation is dedicated to providing/delivering high quality products and assuring safety. A robust quality management system is a pre-requisite, not only to achieve quality, but also to maintain consistency in product and service quality at all times.
Benefits of implementing AS9100D:
- Improved customer satisfaction.
- By using the process approach effective mapping of input and output of the processes is achieved.
- Promoting decision making based upon monitoring and measurement of process through a data driven approach.
- Reduction of waste.
- Mitigating risks through risk and opportunity assessments.
- Development of Continual improvement in Organizational processes.
- Consistent in supplying products and services that meet statutory & regulatory requirements.
- Mutual beneficial relationship with suppliers.
How to Implement AS 9100D:
The following steps can help for a smooth implementation of AS 9100D:
- Setting up your project – Create the budget, create project plan, identify the resources and track the necessary actions.
- Management Support – Top Management supports the project team with necessary resources including infrastructure required for effective implementation of AQMS AS9100D standard without much hassle.
- QMS aspects–Identify the scope, list the QMS processes, create process maps and procedures, that are required for an effective implementation.
- Training and employee awareness–Training the employees by making awareness to the selected QMS standard and also their contribution for making an successful implementation.
- Implementing the processes – Upon defining the QMS processes, procedures, controls, you can begin to implement these to let people begin working on the updated information.
- Choosing the appropriate certifying body – The certification body will audit your company’s QMS with the requirements to AS 9100D and recommend the issuance of the certificate upon meeting the International Standard requirements.
- Using the QMS – The certification body will be using your QMS documented information such as process maps, procedures, instructions, forms & checklist based on your industry specific practices.
- Internal audits – To know if your implemented QMS is working as per your planning, conducting internal audits will be helpful before the certification body assess your Organization.
- Documentation review – This involves stage 1 of the certification body to review and assess your QMS documentation
- Final Certification –This is stage 2 of the assessment by certification body to examine every process and procedures of your QMS and analyses if your processes meet the specified requirements.
How Omnex can help with AS 9100
Omnex helps organizations who are implementing AS 9100D, AS 9110, AS 9115, or AS 9120 and AS 9145 for the first time, as well as those who are transitioning from either ISO 9001 or older versions of the AS 9100 series. We offer a full range of training classes: from simply understanding the standard requirements, implementing and/or documenting the standard all the way to internal and/or lead auditor training, to visiting your site(s) for implementation assistance through consulting. Note, Omnex auditor training not only teaches AS 9100 auditing but also includes Aerospace auditing practices as per AS 9101 requirements.
How to get AS 9100certified
There are 3 essential steps involved in getting certified to AS 9100D:
- Choosing the right certification body – After having your QMS in place, the certification auditors will be assessing the maturity level of your processes and also to analyse if they meet the requirements specified in the AS 9100D.
- Certification audit – Stage 1 - This is called as documentation adequacy check audit wherein auditors will review your AQMS documentations and will issue a non-conformity report in case there are discrepancies.
- Certification audit – Stage 2 – In this stage, the auditors analyse your QMS processes that are already in place and investigate if the process is being carried out as per your plan and will provide process effectiveness assessment report (PEAR) and appropriate corrective actions to be taken.
Omnex Certificate Accreditation – Exemplar Global QM, AU & TL/ Omnex
Omnex follows Exemplar Global, a worldwide recognised “Training Provider and Examiner Certification Scheme (TPECS)”, and depending on the courses and examination you have chosen to become qualified.
The courses offered by Omnex comprises of three separate Exemplar Global Competency Units with the following objectives:
- Exemplar Global-QM (Understanding the QMS requirements)
- Exemplar Global-AU (Understanding the Auditing requirements)
- Exemplar Global-TL (Understanding the Lead Auditing/Team Leader requirements)
Omnex brings our specialized methodologies for Risk Management, Aerospace APQP/PPAP in AS9145, AS13004 (PFMEA and Control Plans) and AS13006 (Process Control), New Product Launch, and Characteristic Classification that we have practiced for over 26 years. We offer training in AS9145 and Core Tools, AS9102 First Article Inspection, AS9103 Variation Management of Key Characteristics, AS13000 (Problem Solving), AS13004, AS13006 and other Aerospace requirements. Organizations who are interested in going beyond compliance to becoming Process Oriented and/or implement Best-In-Class practices should contact Omnex at email@example.com.
Click here to see how Omnex can assist with Implementation Support and/or Assessments
Trainings Offered by Omnex:
- AS9100D Lead Auditor Training for Aerospace Quality Management Systems (AQMS)
- AS9145 with Design FMEA (DFMEA) and Process FMEA (PFMEA) for Aviation, Space and Defense Organizations
- AS9100D Internal Auditor Training for Aerospace Quality Management Systems (AQMS)
- Understanding the Requirements for AS9100D for Aerospace Quality Management Systems (AQMS)
- Understanding AS9145 - APQP and PPAP for Aviation, Space and Defense Organizations
How to implement AS 9100D:
Click here to know how Omnex can help you with Implementation and coaching support.
Get in touch for any AS 9100D Software Requirements.
Request For Information
Integrated Management Systems
Integrated Management Systems (IMS) is the integration of QMS (Quality Management System), EMS (Environment Management System), OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety), ISMS (Information Security Management System), Social Responsibility and other regulations / standards and requirements into a single management system.
Omnex Methodologies and Practices
Omnex core strengths are spelled out in the 16 methodologies in which we specialize. Each of these practices are best in Class practices that can be implemented based on the needs of a specific organization in any industry.
How Can We Help You...
For any service request or to seek consulting, Our Customer Service Team is ready to serve you, round the clock.