This three-day course is certified by RABQSA under the TPECS
scheme, and meets the knowledge criteria requirements for the
Principal OHS Auditor grade or lower. This seminar fully covers
the OHSAS 18001:2007 requirements. Other topics include
audit systems, the auditing process and audit instruments; the
documentation process, conducting an audit, writing the audit
report, and taking corrective action. Auditing case studies to
develop skills for identifying nonconformities will be used.
Attendees who successfully demonstrate competence during this
course will achieve a Certificate of Attainment for the following
Who Should Attend
This seminar is designed for Health & Safety Compliance
Managers, OHSAS 18001:2007 Implementation Team
Members, Management Representatives, and OHSAS
18001:2007 Internal Auditors.
Recommended Training and/or Experience
An understanding of the OHSAS 18001:2007 requirements
and/or work experience in applying OHSAS 18001:2007 is
Each participant will receive a seminar manual and a breakout
workbook that includes auditing case studies.
- Understand OHS laws, principles, codes of practices, and
- Identify OHS hazards that are reasonably expected to occur
for that business type or industry.
- Assess the risk of identified hazards in the context of the
organization’s OHS management system.
- Assess the effectiveness of methodologies to control OHS
- Assess the OHS roles and responsibilities within the
context of the organizational environment.
- Determine the adequacy and effectiveness of an OHS
- Understand the application of the principles, procedures
and techniques of auditing.
- Understand the conduct of an effective audit in the context
of the auditee’s organizational situation.
- Understand the application of the regulations, and other
considerations that are relevant to the management system,
and the conduct of the audit.
- Practice personal attributes necessary for the effective and
efficient conduct of a management system audit.
- Introduction and Welcome
- The Need for Occupational Health & Safety Standards
- Introduction to the OHSAS 18001 Specification and
- Conformance to OHSAS 18001 and Its Relationship to
- Understanding the OHSAS 18001:2007 Requirements
- Comparison of OHSAS 18001 and ANSI/AIHA Z10
- Review of OHSAS 18001:2007 Requirements
- Occupational Health & Safety Management System Documentation
- Integrating ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001
- Breakout Exercise 1: Integrating Procedures
- Breakout Exercise 2: Documentation Review
- Management of Audit Programs
- Audit Planning and Preparation
- Breakout Exercise 3: Scope and Objectives
- Breakout Exercise 4: Audit Plan
- Performing the Audit
- Breakout Exercise 5: Opening Meeting
- Breakout Exercise 6: Conducting the Audit
- Writing Nonconformity Statements
- Breakout Exercise 7: Writing Nonconformities
- Closing Meeting
- Breakout Exercise 8: Summary Statement and Closing Meeting
- Completing the Audit Report
- Corrective Action and Closeout
- Breakout Exercise 9: Verification and Closeout