This five-day seminar explains the ISO 50001 series of Energy Management System
(EnMS) Standards and how to audit them while leading an audit team. This course
is organized around the unique aspects of the Omnex ISO 14001 audit trails with
integrated ISO 50001 auditing. Topics include the auditing process and audit tools
such as checklists, audit forms and records. Participants will learn the EnMS documentation
and how to audit each element, conduct an audit, write audit reports and approve
corrective actions. ISO 50001:2011 clauses have been clarified and updated to be
in harmony with ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 standards. The class will also
cover the topic of integrating ISO 5001 with ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 26000 and
Global Reporting Initiatives (GRI).
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for ISO 50001 Implementation Team Members, Management Representatives
and ISO 50001 Internal Auditors. Those in charge of implementing or auditing ISO
14001 or EMS could also benefit from this course.
Recommended Training and/or Experience
An understanding of the ISO 50001:2011 requirements and/or work experience in applying
ISO 50001:2011 is recommended.
Each participant will receive a seminar manual and a breakout workbook that includes
auditing case studies.
- Understand the application of Energy Management Principles in the context of ISO
- Relate the energy management system to the organizational products, including services,
and operational processes.
- Understanding the ISO 50001 auditing and registration process.
- Understand each element of the ISO 50001:2011 Standard.
- Know how to prepare for and how to complete an EnMS audit acting as the lead auditor.
- Understand how to conduct an integrated audit of ISO 50001 with ISO 14001 or ISO
- Understand the application of the principles, procedures and techniques of auditing.
- Understand the conduct of an effective audit in the context of the auditeeâ€™s organizational
- Understand the application of the regulations, and other considerations that are
relevant to the management system, and the conduct of the audit.
- Practice personal attributes necessary for the effective and efficient conduct of
a management system audit.
- Establish, plan and task the activities of an audit team.
- Communicate effectively with the auditee and audit client.
- Organize and direct audit team members.
- Prevent and resolve conflict with the auditee and/or within the audit team.
- Prepare and complete the audit report.
- Introduction and Welcome
- Impetus for International Energy Management Standards
- Intro to ISO 50001 Series Standards and Related Publications
- Conformance to ISO 50001 / Relationship to Other Standards
- Understanding the ISO 50001:2011 Requirements
- Energy Management System Documentation
- ISO 50001 and ISO 9001 Comparison
- Breakout Exercise 1: Integrating ISO 9001 and ISO 50001 Procedures
- Breakout Exercise 2: Documentation Review
- Management of Audit Programs
- Audit Planning and Preparation
- Breakout Exercise 3: Scope and Objectives
- Breakout Exercise 4: Audit Plan
- Performing the Audit
- Breakout Exercise 5: Opening Meeting
- Breakout Exercise 6: Conducting the Audit
- Writing Nonconformity Statements
- Breakout Exercise 7: Writing Nonconformities
- Closing Meeting
- Breakout Exercise 8: Summary Statement and Closing Meeting
- Completing the Audit Report
- Corrective Action and Closeout
- Breakout Exercise 9: Verification and Closeout
- Review of Audit Process and Audit Management Strategies
- Practical Application of Audit Principles and Instructor Interviews