This two-day workshop provides the opportunity to learn and practice the Single-Minute-Exchange-Dies
(SMED) methodology for achieving quick changeovers. SMED is a methodology that was
created by Shigeo Shingo in the Toyota press room to reduce the time needed to setup
and changeover the huge stamping presses. The goal is first to reduce setup times
by 50% and ultimately to less than 10 minutes.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed for leaders responsible for improving quality and productivity
in manufacturing operations.
Recommended Training and/or Experience
Familiarity with manufacturing processes is recommended.
Each participant will receive a workshop manual.
- Understand the concept and practice of SMED for achieving fast changovers/setups
- Introduction to SMED and Breakaway Lean
- Continuous Flow
- Overview of Quick Changeovers
- Preparation for a Quick Changeover Workshop
- Separating Internal and External Setup
- Converting Internal to External
- Streamlining the Setup
- JIT and Quick Changeovers
- Quick Changeover Implementation
- Quick Changeovers Assessment Checklist
Workshop Sequence: OEESMED